March 26, 2011

On The Reservation

Montana 1948... 

I cannot lie, by the cover (and) the title, I honestly thought the book would be boring, (and I'm pretty sure others did as well) but I was wrong. I did not think there would be so much 'drama', if you will. 

As read in the beginning of the first part, life sometimes was not easy due to the harsh conditions of the reservation. According to wikipedia.com, average daily temperature can reach as high as about 85 ºF in July and as low as about 28 ºF in January. Not too bad, I guess. But then again, the hottest recorded temperature was 117 °F on July 20, 1893, and the coldest was on January 20, 1954, at -70 °F.

Specifically, on the reservations, one climatic factor affected large areas. The dryness of the soil made it extremely difficult to farm, because the economy is largely based on agriculture, and the hot, dry winds made it worse.

 I think I would have the same view on the Uncle Frank thing as David. (At the time of this post I am beginning Part Three) He doesn't know whether to put it in the back of his mind or deal with it forwardly. In the book, when he visits his grandparents, David goes out hunting and sees his father and Uncle Frank arguing. He says he could have shot Frank then and there (I definitely would not have gone to this extreme, nor even thought about it), but when he sees Wes and Frank shaking hands and walking off together, he abandons the thought.

(Just a little fun fact-Bentrock is fictional. Recently figured this out. Don't remember if they explained in the book; hope nobody knew this already, hehe) Here's a picture of real Indian Reservations in Montana-

No comments:

Post a Comment