February 19, 2011

Propaganda 2011

Propaganda
–noun
1.
information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc. (dictionary.com)

When I think propaganda, I almost instantly think back the World History class I took at my old high school. Around April or May we began to talk about Europe and World War 2. In the textbook there were all kinds of pictures aiming to influence people to back for a certain country or whether or not to let women fight in the war. A common picture-


Dictionary.com's second definition of propaganda-
 –noun
2.
the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.
Keyword- "RUMORS"!
I couldn't find any obvious propaganda on Google images that I knew was CERTAINLY false, and i didn't want to put anything that I wasn't sure about, then get targeted by the police or something, so I chose not to.


As for propaganda in 2011, Election Day is Tuesday, and we are seeing all kinds of mayoral "propaganda". An important question someone might ask is "Do you think propaganda now and then is still pretty much the same?" And my answer to that would be Somewhat yes. I think some quality things about the posters, radio advertisements, and now T.V. commercials have changed, but the main point of the actual things has stayed exactly the same.

Another Famous picture-

No comments:

Post a Comment