September 16, 2010

There Goes the Neighborhood...

There Goes the Neighborhood... hmmm, an interesting topic indeed. In this blog, I will be expressing my opinions of the Native Americans as Columbus arrived and of the changes and clashes in my neighborhood. My outlook on it is that the Native Americans may have thought that Columbus was kind of taking over the land, in a way. They thought that he was changing their customs and traditions. Columbus may have seen it as a new opportunity to spread the lifestyles of his native Italians and other peoples from other countries. This poses the questions of, "Were the Natives glad that Columbus had discovered their land?" "Did they benefit from this, or were they caused detriment (harm)?" In my neighborhood there are really no serious clashes between groups, since I live in a mostly African-American neighborhood. What do you think? Do you think the Native Americans actually thought about it, or did they pay no mind? If you have a thought, please comment.

1 comment:

  1. Darius,
    I think that the Native Americans at first thought that Columbus was taking over their land. That he may be trying to take them captive in some sort of form and make his own "village" while destroying theirs. I think that they did pay mind when the Columbs came to them because it may have not been normal for an outsider to come to their village. But over time I feel that they saw that Columbus wasn't trying to change every aspect of their culture so they vibed with him.

    ReplyDelete